Saturday, December 5, 2009

PAA

Warning: I would not wish to spoil your experience of watching the movie.. So please read this only after you have seen the movie for yourself.

No doubt, a lovely movie. Made me laugh out loud and much as I hate to admit, I did shed a few tears too (:blush) Abhi's performance as usual deserves a 'thumbs up'. His expressions by Auro's bedside were the culprit for the droplets on my cheek! Lovely humour thats typical of a 12 year old boy... It makes you believe Auro is really 12 despite the appearance, his maturity at times and the fact that he is played by a man whom the world knows to be a senior citizen. I never once thought of Big B while watching the movie. He is just Auro.. So convincing. Cudos to the make up too. Vidya.. amazing in a saree.. other outfits thumbs down. But the girl makes me proud overall..

However, some parts I wish to deliberate upon…

Point one: Abhishek’s character… Contradictory ! A man who wants to change the country. A wannabe, I can probably understand but he is actually projected to be one of values and virtues but the same guy wont take responsibility for his child?? So he is partially self centered and partially selfless? He wants to be a successful politician ok… but he wants to serve people?? What characterization is that… Incongruous.

Point two: A woman who struggles for 14 years to raise a child… Gosh! She must hate that man. And I am supposed to believe its all rosy rosy in the end and they live happily ever after! Thats Bollywood for you! Women are candles made of wax.. to melt at the sound of a ‘sorry’.. no wonder men get away with everything that they do!

Point three: I was laughing when Vidya’s mother asks her “Do you want the child?” repeatedly… No now that isn’t funny.. How many moms would react that way?? Totally unemotional, mature reaction from a mother whose daughter is pregnant and the father of the child just shirked responsibility?!! One thing believable was in the end when that same mom behaves totally like our prototype Indian Mom and says to Mr.Young MP-ji, “All these years I was hoping you would show up!” Hahaha… now that’s the TRUE Indian Mom reaction!!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have not watched the film in question; perhaps I am even wayward in answering the question on top.
Assuming the answer is for men, my answer would be a resonant YES!!!

Ranjani said...

Am gonna be honest here, Srin. (i hope u dont mind me calling u so.. Sri and Srini r too common!) the reason i asked only women that question is dat its way 2 obvious an answer as far as men are concerned! Find me a man who wud say no.. If he does he is lying.. Dont ask me y! I dunno. Mayb we women think 2 much.. Or mayb we are the ones who have the highest stakes!

Anonymous said...

Agreed. To the last word, Ranjani.

Vishal rajagopalan said...

Well to start with i wud say tht the film s a compliment to audience comin of age!! Some of the stuff are very sensitive, like the little girl runnin away from such a person, who is already havin multiple psychological complexes!! Vidya balan openly statin 'a sperm donor is not necessarily a father(derived outta real frustration)'!!

Vishal rajagopalan said...

N finally educating ppl of genetic disorders, which is mostly only known in academic circles, as such incidences are pretty rare!! Above everythin, to give a real substance with absolute clean humor n little bit of emotional drama, when slap-stick n cheap comedy 've become the order of the day is a commendable job!!

Vishal rajagopalan said...

N the point of mother of the girl being cold n not emotional, i do agree.. I actually hrd a girl in my grp say ' agar har ek ladki ki maa aisi hoti tho kya baat hoga'!! So tht tells u the whole story of indian moms!! Well a girl can accept a guy thou, even after he has ditched her!! I've seen live examples!! Psychologically a soft corner exists no matter what!! N he didn't ditch her for another!!

Vishal rajagopalan said...

Well an youngster can strive to be a clean successful politician, but doin things against the media isn't tht easy as shown!! Also not necessarily, a fella failure in personal life, wud fail in his career too!! Actually easier to focus on career when there s no family arnd!! Einstein, gandhi, ramanujam, kalam, schrodinger, indira gandhi, etc are the best examples of personal failures!!

Ranjani said...

Audience coming of age is not new... Its been quite some time since Bollywood went bold.But I agree that is a wonderful dialogue. Some punch on the face that was!!

I really enjoyed the humor, but can you call it clean really? It was so full of Potty ;) (kidding)

Hmmm.. Almost every girl would say those words you quoted!! As I said, Moms in real life are not so "cool".. Dont expect them to be. Maybe the next gen will be. I think women of my gen and forward have seen it all and can possibly react that way! Until then.. we live with the prototype moms.

Ranjani said...

Hey I want to point out one thing.. I am not talking abt success and failure in personal life. Accepted fact that an ambitious man, who is totally engrossed in making a career has little time for personal relationships. And any other career for Little Bachhan would have been believable. But hey.. here is a guy who talks about kindness and social issues. I am sure any of those great men you quoted would not 'shirk responsibility'. Integrity and character can never be partial and lopsided. A thinking, honest, brave man behaves the same way in every given situation. They say charity begins at home buddy. So does responsibility. Thats what is disturbing about this characterization. A man who can stand up for one thing will stand up for everything that is true. If he was the "I" wanna be a successful politician and not "I want to do something for the country" type, then I would have believed the storyline... Somewhere it does not fit in together.

Ranjani said...

"Well a girl can accept a guy thou, even after he has ditched her!! I've seen live examples!! "


See... THIS is what I meant when I said, "No wonder men get away with whatever they do". End of story, you know you will be forgiven! Sad but so true ;) Wonder why not one women has voted.. and two men have commented all too eagerly on the issue!!

foodie said...

Ranjani,
I havent watched the movie but then you have given an excellent review.I can feel your obvious comments mentioned, and i loved the way you have written it.Looking forward for more reviews.

Ranjani said...

Thanks Pradnya :)

THANK YOU FOR VISITING MY BLOG.Tell me what you think..


ShoutMix chat widget